Moving to Thurrock, Essex
Written by Anonymous Visitor and posted in East Anglia, Essex

I remember my early years in the town of Stanford-le-hope in Thurrock, we lived in a lovely modern new build home, and when I was 4 years old crime and chav levels became out of hand, and we moved, right to the top of essex to a small village right between Colchester and Ipswich. I grew up there, I learned to speak properly, pronounce my t’s and h’s. I began senior school, one large senior school to serve 7 villages, we were a close knit community, and it consisted mostly of elderly citizens and middle class workers, like my family. I left primary with “honors”, and I loved secondary school. In my second year of senior school, my parents separated due to relationship problems, my father moved to a house down the road and me, my sister and mother kept our house. We ran in to problems as my mum struggled to find work that would mould around mine and my sisters care. In the end, she resided, and we moved back to Stanford, where most of our family is.

Now, to be honest Stanford-le-hope itself isn’t to much of a dive, there is a moderate amount of council housing, but that’s to be expected, we are in south Essex, after all, but its the Towns surrounding that makes Stanford look like Mayfair in comparison.

There is now a train network, the c2c, running from Southend on Sea into London, passing by us, and to closer to London you are, the worst it gets. If I was hopping on the train to go to the Lakeside Shopping Centre to do some shopping, I’d get on at stanford to see normal working class people from the likes of Southend, Leigh on Sea and Chalkwell.

The train will start moving and we arrive in East Tilbury, a very quiet station, no one tends to get on. Then its Tilbury town, the complete wasteland of Essex, filled with housing association and gypsies. The sight out the window is horrible, ugly concrete buildings pasted over a otherwise nice marsh land, landen with the docks in the distance, and the forever blowing up power station. Its the people that are the worst, bright red haired, umbro tracksuit clad teenage girls chewing gum, pushing prams with young, whiney children in them and cussing to their still adolescent boyfriends, with their reebok trainers and fag in mouth, they interrupt the quiet atmosphere with their violent presence. Same goes with Grays, another dive town, but this time its not English chavs, its Immigration central, the platform is fit to exploding with countless nationalities, and jumping on the train babbling in foreign languages, the Tilbury residents making rude and racist remarks to the harmless people trying to find seats.

Next is Chafford Hundred, the home of Lakeside. Most people, including me, get off here to go into lakeside, after several flights of stairs and a long walk, your in the department store House of Fraser’s, where the Tilbury residents immediately swarm to the designer racks, attempting to stuff t-shirts and hoodies under their jackets, and getting caught by assistants. As you loose the crowd, lakeside gets nicer, there is several nice shops, like French Connection, Zara and Wallis, and if your there on a weekday you escape the weekend crowds.

Back in stanford, you go to the school. The two school in the area; Gable Hall and Hassenbrook Academy are two rival schools, and the students do not mix. Although Hassenbrook was made an academy years ago, its slowly built itself up again to become a strict, hard working, no nonsense school. Gable hall however has had the polar opposite effect, ratings are down, students are getting more and more chavy and mouthy, and there’s been several reports of rape and pregnancy in the school. I came to the area and went to both schools, Gable first, and left because its awful. I am now taking my GCSE’s at Hassenbrook, and cannot wait to get out of this hole, I aim to become a barrister in high court, and get somewhere far away from thurrock, the area the government built with chavs in mind.

• UniOfSas

Can I just say, Grays is not that bad. Yes Grays is very multicultural but that is not a bad thing. I have lived in Grays for many years and have loved the area I grew up in and was sad to leave.

I spent about a quarter of my life at lakeside and have never came across anyone trying to shove products up their jumpers.

About the schools, I didn’t attend either of them schools, I went to William Edwards school and still managed to do well enough in my studies to be able to attend the University of Gloucestershire. I also didn’t attend the best Primary School or College. It’s not really about where you go, its about how willing you are as a person to put the work required to get you to where you want to go.

Thurrock is not the worse place you could be living.

• Kai Doyle

Things may have changed school wise, as Hassenbrook improved, as did it slip up. I went to Hassenbrook for 5 years and noticed the changes with the school along with Gable Hall and I have to say that your opinion on Hassenbrook Academy and Gable Hall has almost reversed. Most recently in Hassenbrook the intent for teacher departure has heavily risen, to the extent that the Maths Teachers amounts to only 2. School Morale is at an ever low as teachers lack skill and promise and otherwise prefer to set cover work, of which amounts to no work, and the students are also amassed with false intent of good grades; C’s. Also, the current number of students in year 7 is only 58 students, which obviously shows parents dislike among the school and it’s principles

Meanwhile, Gable Hall has improved significantly, they’re numbers exceed 1.1k students (hassenbrook has 600), they have an effective yet strict system in place which works, and the GCSE grades to prove the point.

Yes, this is a stupid rant from a student who completely hates his school, but I can assure that with the likes of experienced teachers leaving and small students amounts within the school that Hassenbrook Academy wont last another 10years. Hey, I might even recommend Gateway Academy as a better alternative if Gable is full, and that’s really saying something, HA!

• i woz ere

Lots of greenery in Thurrock.
    Tilbury was abit of a dive, that appears to have changed to some degree.
    Grays is always changing, feels like every time i go there the town centre’s been redesigned. Theres some decent art work on the Thames wall going towards the QE2 bridge.
    Chafford Gorges are worth a visit.
    Stanford as the locals call it, Stanford-le-Hope to everyone else, has an annoying road rail crossing, but it can be by-passed.
    I remember the chippy in Corringham closing at 9pm on a Saturday & thinking this really is the back of beyond.
    On the whole, Thurrock is abit rough around the edges but generally an ok place.

• Teacher

Was quite a rambling commentary there. You could have given the account more depth as there is worse to Thurrock than the blatantly obvious! Ps. There’s also St. Clere’s .

• a local chav

Well considering YOUR inability to differentiate between your and you’re I don’t think those primary honours served you well. Also loose is a different word to lose. Just for future reference.

• Kelly

I was just about to say the same thing! Also note the incorrect use of “is” and “are”, as well as an inability to use an apostrophe.

• CJ

Hi! I have to say I loved reading this. I went to Hassenbrook and I agree its standards are ever improving thanks to the most recent headmaster who is quite forward thinking and has the students’ interests at the forefront of the school’s operation. I can completely understand what you say about moving away and moving back again… I went to University in York and then moved back in with my father in Stifford (NOT North Stifford with its various chevrons and road islands), and I could not BEAR the area… Lakeside is alright, as you say, but Grays is just a sea of various nationalities, almost a miniature UN without the political diplomacy or the nice furniture. I have since moved somewhere between Blackheath and Lewisham- it’s kind of like living in twilight, sunshine in Blackheath and heavy clouds over Lewisham. Please, value Thurrock for all its worth – Lewisham is worse!

• Steve q

Wow! That’s a long hate filled rant about people you don’t know.I bet you’re as boring as your piece