Top 10 Worst places to live in #England 2017

We have been compiling the top 10 worst places to live in England for more than a decade. Thousands of readers have voted for their least salubrious dump in this septic isle.  Offending local councillors, dignitaries and meddlesome ratbags plus ruining the trade of slime ball lying estate agents, makes our day as they do their level best to polish a turd of a town.  There were some upsets this year and a new entry rocketing into the charts at number 1, that is sure to cause some outrage in their respective local rags.  So for 2017 we present our definitive Top 10 of the worst god-awful hell holes in England, enjoy!

10. Blackpool

Dropping down from number 4 is the entertainment capital of the North. Once famed for its golden mile, Blackpool now conjures up images of drunken stags and hens, falling over in the street and spewing on themselves, before retiring to a grotty seaside B&B. Here’s what our readers have to say:

You may think it’s a jolly seaside resort with candy floss and donkeys, it’s a scumbucket for the transients who come here to draw benefits in a holiday resort, instead of an inner city.
Go back a few streets from the prom and you will see the deprivation, the ghettos and the scummy pubs that make up the REAL Blackpool.

• john lewsam

To label Grimsby as the worst in England is a joke, there are many places in England where there are shootings and stabbings on a nightly basis.
    Sure it is a struggling town but not the worst.

• John

Do not like Bradford and Luton they are in NO way English or British! Rather a group of goodness knows what’s! I do not mean anything about other ethnic groups or religions but just the fact that they do not represent the English/Bristish way of life. Yes I have been and visited both. Rochdale is a very close third, not a nice place. Plus I would hate to live in any area around London our capital city. Give me Manchester, Newcastle, York, Bournemouth,Dorset, Devon or Cornwall any day!

• Laura

I live in Bradford and it is sh*t it’s the worst place I have ever lived, I lived in Grimsby for about a year and was sooooo much nicer than Bradford, I would quite happily move back there in the blink of an eye

• Mark Parry

One of the most crappy places in England is Oswestry. Shops shut. No decent council or local services.

• John Smith

Right I’m sorry but you’ve missed the biggest pile of s**t to have ever been created, you just have to look at the news of this place from the last year to realise how vile it is, of course I’m talking about ROTHERHAM!

• scene09

Anywhere in the west midlands, and yes that includes the escape-to towns. Combined with the none stop miserable weather, the WM is quite possibly the only place where hopes and dreams go to die, a self perpetuating place of exile for the rest of the nations undesirables to come to colonize, a vicious and never ending circle. An all round hell hole.

• Edward Abbott

Why was Bolton not on this, it is by far the worst.

• Nikki Clayton

There’s nothing wrong with Hull. It’s not fair to label it as the worst especially when there are festering eyesores such as Bradford, Leeds, Manchester, Preston etc..

• rachael foster

well I have lived in Hull all my life.. so some might say that I do not know any better. However I love it here, we have struggled since we lost our fishing industry and we have been unable to build ourselves back to how it was. But give us a break, we are getting much better here and the vibe is changing. We have some lovely people here, who perhaps through poverty, stick together and support each other. Neighbours talk to each other and we still take cups to our neighbours house to fill with milk, wash powder etc when we run low. With all social deprivation, yes we have our problems… but help us if this is the case… we are treat like the forgotten city on the road to know where… our livelihood depends upon the water… so bring back industry… give us something to trade… let us fish in the seas again… orrrrr take advantage of our extremely cheap land and build business here. There is a lot of potential, this will not stay like this forever… but thanks for the slander, really helpful

• Kristof Van Hoeven

People who crap in their own nest and have no respect for those around them make this country seem like a lost cause. I am referring to what some might label ‘chav’ but what I like to call annoying w**kers.
    And before any pseudo left wing rebels get all bothered by that, I am very much working class and grew up around that nonsense. You think I want to be associated with fat, lazy idiots who shout and scream, litter and play their music loud at all hours? No. And that’s not inverse snobbery either, try living next to that before you start with your social justice warrior nonsense.

• Putting You Straight

Oh dear, you deluded person.
    If a place is in a London Borough it is in London, & if it’s in the eastern part of London it’s only natural that people would refer to it as east London.
    A place cannot possibly be in a shire county if it’s in a London Borough.
    Essex is run by Essex County Council. London is run by the London Boroughs, & the Greater London Authority whose head is the Mayor of London.
    Even most chavs know this.

• Oli

What is wrong with Barking? I moved to Barking from Lewisham 2 months ago. Barking is fine. Good for commuting and convenient to do all kinds of shoppings. The real rubbish absolutely faceless place to live in London is Rotherhide. It is expensive, very bad accommodation, installations not working, damp and no entertainment whatsoever, not even a decent pub. I escaped from there to Lewisham which is ok, but Barking is cheaper and commuting to work in central London is a bit more convenient and faster using the C2C.

• Josephine Cecilie Weber Kroman

I’m from Denmark and I have the opportunity to study at University of Hull…
    How bad is it really? And why is it so bad?

• Lucy Johnson

Don’t do it x

• TrilbyHat

Take away the British Government State Benefits, meaning the DHSS hand outs, and just about every town in the UK will soon outrank for crime Harlem NY, Soweto South Africa, or Rio De Janerio Brazil. Some on here have mentioned Nottingham and Bradford being dumps, 60 years ago both these town were once beautiful cities with fine history’s. We know the cause for their loss of grace and favour, and we know the answer but nothing will be done. I agree Middlesbrough a dump, but it’s our dump and no one else’s dump. If you sincerely want to study the subject of Slum Towns UK, look at places going downhill fast like Newark, Bristol, Rochdale and Dewsbury.

• Bosun Higgs

This is the saddest, angriest and most bilious website in the world apart from ISISwives.org.sy

• Michael

I’m not a “mover” as such but I’ve lived in Tadley (somewhere wedged between Reading and Basingstoke, all three are shitholes), Derby and Castle Bromwich in Birmingham and I must say, most if not all of these places on the list are better than Birmingham and Tadley but not Derby. Derby imo is very underrated.
    My worst 10 places I’ve visited would be:
    1. Castle Bromwich
    2. Salford
    3. Basingstoke
    4. All of London excluding Belgravia, Chelsea etc.
    5. Luton
    6. Tadley, Hampshire
    7. Nottingham
    8. Glasgow
    9. Torbay, Devon
    10. Blackburn

• busreplacement

I think Kent in general is hopeless; even the ‘best’ bits are ravaged by a plague of the morbidly obese and terminally stupid. As soon as you step off the filthy trains onto the litter strewn stations, you can sense the stench of abandonment in the air. Culture, art and beauty have no chance of life or survival once tainted by the Kentish curse; the brightest are struck by a cloak of a mind debilitating poison. Architecture and history, preserved in such plots as Maidstone and Rochester, treasured by outsiders are to the denizens mere obstacles on the way to ASDA and Primark, the true Mecca of the built environment.
    Because it is so badly served by trains (there is a reason the line has never electrified) it doesn’t have the through breeze of normality circulating and freshening it up. You’re there, stuck be it Herne Bay, Ramsgate, Margate, Canterbury and, the subject town, Gravesend.
    Indeed.
    It chills the blood. The worst county, let alone town, must be Kent.

• Icon2100

You’ve missed out Trashford which unbelievably possesses street signs written in French as if anybody travelling on Eurostar from Europe would alight there, other than at gunpoint or if they were a badly informed asylum-seeker.

Margate and Ramsgate do possess physical beauty and the latter some gorgeous Georgian architecture even though the council has done its best to obliterate it with concrete.

• amy

I am honestly in shock i can not believe that rochdale has not made it on to this list. Especially considering all the bad publicity it has had in recent years.

• albiontyke

The Geography is wrong on the map opposite, seemingly the East Midlands has stolen part of the Yorkshire and Humberside region.

• albiontyke

Being a middle aged Sales Rep who has travelled to most parts of the country, I can’t agree that Bradford and Hull are anyway near as bad as, Sunderland, Leicester or Wolverhampton who are not even on the list. Also many borough’s in London are missing here, Lewisham & Haringey are prime examples. Both Bradford and Hull are possibly far more diverse than most places, having some horrendous areas of deprivation, but conversely, unlike many cities, large areas are extremely prosperous and very attractive and some of the satellite towns near Bradford rank amongst some of the most affluent in Britain.