Living in York
Written by Anonymous Visitor and posted in Yorkshire

After making some trips to York over the years I wanted to move there. The opportunity came up through work, I moved from a known bad area of the country. Two years later I have given up and moved out of York entirely.

It somehow managed to be worse than the original area I came to get away from. I visited Harrogate a year back and noticed that most of the people were either very affluent or the real dregs of society. York is virtually the same now.

Living in York can be very nice, if you can afford to pay £300,000+ for a house. If not you will end up paying over the odds to live in a very questionable area. For less money than I paid here have now bought a newer, bigger house in a nice residential area with good commuter links, etc.

The council are clueless and only interested in ripping off tourists. Other councils I have experienced actually know how to run a place. This one would be better suited to run a theme park. The police force is laughable and totally inadequate, a similar setup where I came from would have led to mob rule. It appears that one train full of drunk race-goers brings the town to its knees. I know York is actually a city but after seeing other cities it really is a town.
Yorkshire people are said to be the friendliest in the country, haven’t met too many of those while here, all the locals seem to be belligerent morons.

So wake up middle-class and get out of York before it bankrupts or kills you and leave it to the slobs and the snobs.

Yours,

Mr Long Gone

• Ollypops

Several thousand museums? Really? Is that even possible??? I left York a while back when I realised a place that needs bouncers on city centre pub doors every night of the week and not just Fridays and Saturdays is not a healthy sign. Oh, and because I was getting a little weary that every time I went out on an evening someone in my party would either get dragged into someone else’s fight or beaten up by a stranger for doing absolutely nothing! The taxi-drivers – or Yorkshire Twats as I affectionately refer to them – are mostly opinionated, racist gits so I saved a fortune by walking everywhere. It’s a pretty place to visit but that’s about it I’m afraid. And yes, the house prices are steep but then that’s not just a York phenomenon.

• Trueman

Well, I’ve been living in York for the last nine years, and I find it very pleasant. I often walk the two miles into town and spend hours in the city centre with no unpleasantness whatever. People here are civil and civilised. Even the chavs are mild compared to places like Leeds, where I lived for many years. There are a few rough areas which I would avoid after dark, there are some nasty pubs and clubs where trouble can be expected of a weekend, and there has been a long-standing problem with visitors from Tyneside getting rowdy here on their stag/hen nights, but it’s really no different in that respect from any major city, sad to say.

York has two universities (one in the UK’s top ten), three theatres, two big museums, an art gallery, numerous cinemas, two music shops, countless coffee-bars and restaurants, and several of the most picturesque streets in Britain, quite apart from the tourist attractions mentioned in brochures. It’s a lovely place, gentle and friendly, and as long as you are careful about where to buy a house, you will have no reason to regret moving here, and many reasons to be thankful.

By the way, how are my grammar and spelling?

• Can’t think of a witty name

York is a beautiful city. And, what’s more, it’s full of lovely people. They can all read.

And, what’s more, it is a city. A big city. It’s certainly sizeable – 200,000 people live there. It has a cathedral, city walls, a big train station, several thousand museums and TWO universities. It’s not just some village off the A1 where everyone is two-faced and inbred. Quite the opposite.

Of course you could say I’m biased, because I was born in York. And I lived there, and I love the place. But if I’m biased, then what about you? Apparently we’re all belligerent morons. I’m not sure who that says more about – me or you – but I can safely say that the people of York on the whole aren’t belligerent morons.

Then there’s the council. Admittedly they’re not the best, but it could be so much worse. Check out Canterbury city council, for instance – then you’ll see how bad it could be.

Trust me, the drunks don’t come from York. And, what’s more, whenever I’m in the city centre I haven’t thought ‘oh no, drunk racegoers’ – I don’t see them. If there’s no hyperbole there, then I don’t know what hyperbole is.

So, in short, you’re wrong. Sorry, but it was going to end up that way if you post something so idiotic.

• Dee Dee Ramone

”York is a beautiful city. And, what’s more, it’s full of lovely people. They can all read”. Chapel fields, Bell farm, Tang hall, Osbaldwick and the Groves, I see what you mean. The drunks don’t come from York, BULLSHIT, any Friday and Saturday not just when the races are on the town is horrible. So you keep on interbreeding and paddling in the shallow end of the gene pool.