Written by Anonymous Visitor and posted in Kent, United Kingdom

Chatham A.K.A Chavham

When people think of Chatham you think of the Dockyard or something associated with naval ships. Now days it isn’t, it is nowadays embarrassing, not safe for children, full of crime. It may not have as much crime as major cities do but they are bad. What you see is a load of chavs hanging around the job centre, the Pentagon shopping centre, the high street itself. You may think they just harmless but they are not, you see people giving you looks that make you think you would get mugged by a non-intelligent chav. They normally ask you “do you have a lighter?”  if you have a lighter just say “no I’m sorry I don’t have one.” If they don’t like it what would they do? Most likely nothing as of that they are cowards, they do sometimes want to start picking fights or want to beat the s*** out of you for no reason, I should know because I had 2 chavs running after me and a friend just because we were commenting on about how we didn’t see people sitting on the escalators often. They weren’t that smart after picking a fight with security guards in the Pentagon as of that I think they got banned from setting foot in the Pentagon which no surprise they got caught on camera.

The origin of Chavs

Chavs originally came from Chatham, they were nicked named “Chatham chavs” in the 1970’s, forget what the media think the origin was from because they are wrong. I may not of been from the 70’s but I know it started off as a “trend” in a school which I think it was either Chatham South ( BORA aka the Bishop of Rochester, stupid name for a school I know) or Chatham grammar school for girls. If I went back in time I would have stopped that from happening but unfortunately that wouldn’t work out to well.

What I think of Chatham

I think Chatham in general need more police officers, not only just because of immigration influx it’s all so because of trouble makers of all ages. I’m personally sick of anti-social behaviour, it make young people look bad and been protrude by the media that all young people are trouble making scum, I don’t believe all of us are, we just normal people that want to get on in life. They need to speak proper English not gobberdy goop s*** that they call slang. They would get a lot further in life if they did and not only that they could get theirselfs a job, a better life not causing crime. Their music is just attorshous ( to me anyway) the clothing makes girls look slutty and easy prey, and the boys dress stupidly and are like wannabe gangsters. I think if you put the male chavs in the same room as the Russian Mafia they would crap their pants and whimper like a baby. They also drink and smoke under the age of 18 and they think it’s cool, well it doesn’t because it would damage their health’s, their so called “swag” ugly would I shouldn’t of used it but oh well. What they should do is just dress up like a proper human being, not act what they are not, smell better and speak proper English and listen to something decent.

By: Steve M

• AMY

Response to Steve M who wrote this article.
    I find it absolutely hilarious that you stated that people who live here need to learn “proper English”, however clearly you must be from the area you so scathingly describe since you appear to have a poor command of the English language yourself. I presume the poor attention to spelling in your account (“theirselfs” should be theirselves “protrude” I think you mean to say portrayed) can only be the result of not having attended one of the well regarded grammar schools in the area. Perhaps you are disappointed with how your life turned out and find the only way to vent that frustration is via a website about the town you live. Who knows and frankly I couldn’t care less.
    Chatham town centre does have some problems I would agree Im not going to gloss over the fact that it has a high unemployment rate and a large proportion of immigrants, you only need to walk through the high street to see this reflected everyday.
    However there are some plus points for Chatham that are easily overlooked. It has great commuter links to London, the house prices are lower than many other parts of the south east comparative to the commute time. There are several great grammar schools in and around Chatham. Rochester Maths for boys being on extremely close by to chatham always get consistent high results.
    Chatham Dockyard is now a major tourist destination bringing in revenue and jobs into the area. the town centre has been improved by the new bus terminal.
    Chatham has potential that much is true but there are a lot of things that could be improved.
    -The pentagon centre should be knocked down and replaced.
    -The council should stop approving betting shops, and pound stores for the high street which only serves to attract the wrong sort of people.
    -They need to concentrate on attracting some big name stores to Chatham to regenerate the interest in the high street.
    -Only the Debenhams is worth visiting and its plain to see it is struggling due to the fact that bluewater is close and people stay away given the lack of other draw.
    -There should be a visible police presence on the high street as I agree sometimes one doesn’t feel safe, this is mainly due to the number of people hanging around and also the fact that you rarely hear an English voice on the high street any more.
    I originally came from Hertfordshire and the town I grew up in has now changed beyond all recognition , going from a quaint market town to a built up sprawl of housing and a town with facilities that can’t cope. when I go back to visit I realise I have a rosy view of it an am always disappointed. Chatham is similar it has changed and not for the better.
    Until someone decides on regeneration and inputs the money required it will continue to evolve on a downward spiral. That said there are other parts of medway that are so close and are simply stunning. The cheaper house prices meant that we could afford a great a family home here and I will always be grateful for that. The schooling is amazing if you have bright children – not so hot it you don’t since grammar schools pick the cream of the crop.
    I have teenage children now and have lived here for 15 years and yes when they are grown and we no longer need the schools we will probably move somewhere more peaceful with a town you can feel safe in. Chatham did a job for us and enabled us to live a good life and commute up to town so I can’t run it down too much. That said neither of my children feel comfortable walking down the high street even if accompanied by me. Nothing has ever happened but they feel uneasy. My son has stated that he wont be living in the area when he’s older – I only hope that he can afford not to.