Living in Bedford
Written by Anonymous Visitor and posted in Bedfordshire, United Kingdom

Bedford, what a s**t hole. Having lived here all my life I still struggle to find anything remotely good about the place. The town centre is ridden with chavs and drug dealers, and the area is never short of a murder or two. The place is ridden with strange, backwards people who appear as if they would drag you into a side street and violently murder you if you so much as looked at them the wrong way. If you’re lucky enough to come across somebody who is not a knife-weilding maniac you have achieved something.

A bit of an exaggeration, maybe, but a crime ridden s**t hole nonetheless. And I wasn’t joking about the murders.

Ah, the town centre – OK for shops, but OK is as far as I would go at the best of times. Everywhere you look there are gangs of chavs and weirdos hanging about. The floors are ridden with chewing gum and rubbish and each wall or lamp post you pass gives you a waft of stale piss where one of said chavs or weirdos has decided to give the public toilets a miss. The lifts also smell of stale piss, but unless you want to meet drug dealers and rapists I wouldn’t advise taking the stairs, which also smell very strongly of piss, although in this case it is not usually stale, in fact sometimes you may be lucky enough to pass someone still doing their business up the wall.

Even what are considered the nicer parts of Bedford are usually not a great deal nicer than your average landfill site. Lets take the area down by the river as an example, ahh yes, that dirty, stenching river which probably contains more litter, s**t and dead bodies than water. Surrounded by ‘parks’ which could be better described as empty grass patches in which chavs and drug dealers go about their daily lives, some of which literally go about their daily lives there – I have seen more than a few tramps asleep on the benches with half drunk bottles of alcohol beside them. The wooded areas surrounding these parks are not places you would go unless you are willing to get gang raped by peadophile chavs in the trees, or the public toilets which also seem to give the surrounding area an undesirable stench.

I once took the (ridiculously stupid) decision to walk a section of Midland Road alone at around 11:30pm. Having missed the last train and not having any credit, in a midst of slightly drunken thoughts I decided to make my way to a friends house in the area. On my way, 2 people asked if I wanted any drugs, 1 person hit on me and 1 person had been stalking me the entire journey and if I hadn’t walked into my friends back gate at that point I would not have been surprised if he had stabbed me in the face or dragged me into his van. I then called my mum using my friends’ phone and as she was picking me up we witnessed a swarm of police cars surrounding a pair of chavs who looked as if they’d been stabbing each other. How wonderful that was. Later that week we discovered that one of them was my friends’ next door neighbour, who had once been in prison for smashing their living room window with a brick and another time his house was drug raided. Needless to say they, no longer live there, although they had been trying to sell the house for over 3 years.

So Midland Road, in general, not the place you want to be at any time, especially alone or late at night. Never again! Not that the rest of Bedford is really any better.

To conclude, I wouldn’t suggest a visit to Bedford any time soon unless you are a drug addict, rapist, murderer, paedophile, alcoholic tramp, or hold more ASBOs than your IQ, in which case you would fit in perfectly.

• Sanjoy Bhose

Totally agree with this article 100%. Did grow up in Bedford, was there 40 years of my life (from birth). Hideous place. Glad I’m out.

• Robert Gray

The problem is with articles like this is that they over exaggerate. Like all large town we have problems with crime that’s a given. I have done youth outreach on midland road and have walked it many times at night I have never personally had a problem. And as for the people it seems like the person that wrote this article is the problem. If you have issues or difficulties you work to make them better you will never know how many people I work with who give thier time passion and drive to help make bedford a better place. Maybe instead of just criticising bedford you should stand up and fight for it.

• Tb

Firstly how can you live in Bedford all your life if you missed your teain to get home? You clearly don’t live in bedford and flitwick doesn’t count. I have lived in bedford all my 32 years of my life and also travelled around the uk many times as a driver. Yes bedford isn’t perfect, like any town we struggle with crime but in comparison to some places it isn’t that bad. Obviously no town wants these crimes to exisist and anyone to lose there lives but unfortunately in this day and age the whole country is seeing a generation of young people growing up with the wrong attitude. Having said that bedford isn’t like this on a daily basis. It does have some beautiful areas and a graet deal of good people who live in this town. Events like the river festival only go to show the community we have here. We have always been a diverse community and we continue to be, im sure if you were to visit areas in any major city or even some towns In the north of uk not only will bedford stand out as being a beautiful town but you will see we do have alot more here than you make out.
    Im proud to be from bedford, although when crimes happen and people like yourself make comment and try to paint the town to be a horrid place I urge you to look around yourself. Yes living in a village in the countryside is probably best for you.

• Tony Donovan

Here here

• John Barrow

If you think bedford’s bad – try Luton!

• Charlie

I live in Bedfordshire and it may not be the best place, especially the town centre but it isn’t half as bad as what you have just described. I don’t think there is a town were there isn’t crime, chavs and homeless people? I can think of far worse places which are ridden with litter and ‘scum’. I think you’re just being arrogant.

• sarajane

i got maid to live in bedford for to years of my life it was horrible murders taxi drivers being beaten to def the streets full of scum

• Ben

I’m sorry but no one could understand your comment due to a complete lack of grammatical correctness or accurate spelling.

• Bedford best points bus ouy off it train out and road out i lived here all my life and highely recommrnd thes are the 3 best pointd

• charlie

the worst thing that ever came out of bedford was irvine whitlock and the toe rags that work for them, real self important people their

• stepenwolf

Ahhh Bedford.the only prison that serves breakfast in bed,cant beat it,best god dam prison this side of Kansas.

• SteveN

I just “drove through” on Google Street View – Midland Road does not look so hot. But perhaps better than River Street?